Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ron Paul Facebook Rants

I'm supposed to be working on the epilogue to the Manuscript I'm writing--Mental Wellness--but instead I'm eating Famous Amos cookies and writing earnest messages on Facebook. And probably misspelling some of my words, therefore ruining my argument.

"The reason I won't vote for Ron Paul is because he believes in the State's rights to decide what I can and cannot do with my body when a fetus is involved. I am not pro abortion. I hate abortions. I wish everyone who doesn't want to have a child would use birth control measures and that they were 100% effective. I wish all children born were conceived intentionally and planned for. But I also hate the idea of my sisters being blocked from making a very morally ambiguous choice. I don't believe the government should be involved in our decision making about our own bodies. Only ourselves, our spiritual guide(s), and our doctor(s)." --Posted by me on Facebook today

So what do you think of Ron Paul? What do you like to rant about on Facebook?

3 comments:

  1. Someone commented that if that is the case I could just move to another state and that people often live beyond their means and have a poor work ethic. Here's my response:

    A lot of poor people don't have money to pay for birth control. And they certainly don't have money to pay for the time off work, childcare expenses, and travel to go to a state that lets a woman choose what to do with her body. I'd hate to be that woman.

    I heard Ron Paul state directly (on Real Time with Bill Maher, I think it was) that he is against the federal government getting involved in whether or not abortion should be allowed and that States should determine it.

    So if I lived in a state that determined I can't have an abortion, I'd have to travel to a state that does, and if I'm so poor or mentally ill or just plain sick, how am I going to figure out how to get to a state that has an abortion clinic let alone pay for it?

    Not because I live beyond my means. My means are very limited. I live a frugal life, but it takes a lot of medication to keep me relatively healthy and it's expensive and I have no family to help me, so I live in a federally subsidized apartment and get food stamps so I don't starve. The apartment is six blocks away from the bus line, which runs four times a day, 7am, 8am, 5pm, and 6pm. But with my bum leg it takes me an hour to walk six blocks to the bus stop with my walker, and often then I have to go to the bathroom because of this medication I'm on, and it's just a mess. I can't get help at the local church because I got in trouble with them for saying I thought people could help people better than praying and waiting for divine intervention. And it's not like they'd give me money to go have an abortion either. And who wants to adopt a deformed baby from a mother taking 9 medications a day?

    Here's a good article explaining Ron Paul's views of legalized abortion:

    http://reason.com/blog/2011/04/27/ron-paul-explains-his-anti-abo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think politicians saying that they think States should decide the abortion issue are just cowards who don't want to admit they oppose the right to abortion and anger all their pro-choice constituents. Passing the buck to the States is the same thing as saying "Let someone else take that right away so that I don't have to" because you can bet that every chance they get, they will try to take it from us. No one wants to say "I support abortions" because truthfully even those of us who support the RIGHT to them don't actually support the idea of them. We absolutely want a woman to have any other choice but that one if humanly possible. I would never choose it for myself, but I vehemently defend each woman's right to decide that on her own. This is my body, and no one can tell me whether I must or must not sacrifice it to support another's life.

    ReplyDelete