Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cooking Gone Wrong Recipes

Ok, this is an interactive blog, so PLEASE leave your cooking confessions below in the comments section.

I saw my mom and two of my sisters Friday. We were talking about how we all make hard-boiled eggs slightly differently, comparing notes. Mom listens to everyone but says nothing. Then we all look her way, like it's her turn, and she says, "Here's how I make hard-boiled eggs: I put them in a pan with water and turn the stove on high. Then I go upstairs and paint a canvass. An hour later I go downstairs to get my cerulean blue paint from my art room and discover the water is gone and the eggs have turned from white to black at the bottom of the pan."

Or like the time I poked some holes into a sweet potato, stuck it in the microwave for about four minutes and went into the back yard with Katie to play hopscotch. An hour later, we came inside to eat dinner and discovered a half mushy cold sweet potato in our microwave awaiting us.

Please share your "Cooking Gone Wrong Recipes" below

2 comments:

  1. Recipe #1: How NOT to boil water.
    Fill your non-whistling (hint hint) copper teakettle with water, put on stove on high. Take an afternoon siesta. Wake up 2 hours later with a black teakettle, pick up the handle and observe large black flakes falling off the sides. Throw teakettle away. Say a little prayer that you did not burn down the apartment complex.

    Recipe #2: How to NOT frost a chocolate cake with fudge icing.
    Bake a 2-layer chocolate cake. In the meantime, make the delicious chocolate frosting, which is the kind that you have to cook on the stove, stirring constantly, not unlike making fudge (hint hint). Assemble the still-slightly-warm (hint hint) cake layers together with a thin layer of still-warm icing. Ooh and Ahh at how perfect it looks. Begin to frost the outside of your lovely cake with the now-rapidly-cooling icing. Notice how it is starting to get very thick, like fudge does when it cools. Observe as the cake cracks in half, then cracks in fourths, and so on, until you are left with a pile of frosted crumbs. Still delicious, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I love these two recipes. I will definitely NOT want to try them, thanks!

    ReplyDelete