Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Righteous Nun of the Day: Sister Joan Chittister

I've often thought it would be fun to be a nun.  Well, all but the no sex and no having children part.  The best present I ever got someone was a punching nun puppet for my brother Jay.  And a Nunzilla.  Nuns are so cool.  

But there's more to nuns than fun.  Nuns do some of the best social justice work in our country.  I'm not saying all nuns, and I'm not saying only nuns.  But come on, Sister Helen Prejean anyone?  I bawl my eyes out every time I watch "Dead Man Walking."  It's one of my all-time favorite movies.  And not just because Susan Sarandon is totally hot sans makeup.  Even while playing a nun.

.


I've recently discovered another righteous nun: Sister Joan Chittister, a Benedictine nun, had this to say on Bill Moyers' Journal in November of 2004:


"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

Amen, Sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment