Thursday, November 22, 2012

Vegetable Cake, Anyone?

Katie's been so excited to help Will bake my birthday cake this year.  I asked for carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.  As they were combining the ingredients, Katie picked up a sliver of dried carrot from the mix and got a funny look on her face.  Like it was just then that she realized a carrot cake has, yeah, carrots in it.

"I'm not going to eat any carrot cake, Mom," Katie announced.

"Why, because carrots are vegetables and it seems weird to eat a vegetable cake?"  I knew this is how Katie felt because I had the same reaction when my mom asked for carrot cake on her own birthday when I was a kid around Katie's age.  Vegetable cake?  Gross.

Katie nodded and crinkled her nose.

"Well you like pumpkin pie, right?" I asked.

Katie's eyes lit up and she nodded furiously, licking her lips.

"Pumpkins are vegetables, so that's a vegetable pie.  It's sugar and pumpkin just like this cake is sugar and carrots," I argued.

"Pie and cake are not the same thing, Mom," Katie insisted.

Today is both Thanksgiving and my 42nd birthday.  I am thankful for my unique taste.  Not everyone likes vegetable cake, but whatever.  Leaves more for me.

Becky's Birthday Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting



No comments:

Post a Comment