Monday, November 5, 2012

Parent-Child Art Projects: Thanksgiving Turkey

Katie came home from school with this assignment:


"This is a parent-child project for our Thanksgiving Bulletin Board.  The idea is to see how many unusual ways this turkey can be decorated other than the usual paint and crayons."

Unusual.  I can do that.

I usually refer all festive craft requests to Katie's father.  Will's good at tradition.  He also has the patience to sit and watch shaky six-year-old hands cut and glue and staple and erase creations.  He's a kid-at-heart, not cynical and old and crusty like me, thinking every holiday is Big Corporation's way of sucking money out of my wallet, so Will has fun decorating the house with the changing seasons.  He dyes Easter eggs with Katie and her cousins:



He helped Katie carve our Halloween pumpkins this year:


He'll decorate Christmas cookies with Katie again this year like he has every year since she's been born:



But this time it was my turn to be the festive parent.  I had the patience to sit and watch shaky six-year-old hands cut and glue and staple and erase our Thanksgiving creation:


And you know what?  I had a blast.  The instructions did say, "it just might be fun for both of you!"  And it totally was.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll join Will as he decorates Christmas cookies with Katie this year.  One thing this parent-child project has taught me is how thankful I am for my family.  

By the way: the turkey wattle/red hair tie was totally Katie's idea.  I think it's the best part of the bird.  Also, try to guess what we used to make the turkey's eyeball.  Leave your answers in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment