Saturday, July 7, 2012

Stonewall Uprising

My heterosexual husband was unfamiliar with the story.  We used to call it the "Stonewall Riots" back in the day, but nowadays I prefer the more hopeful-sounding term "Stonewall Uprising."  If you haven't seen this fantastic PBS "American Experience" documentary "Stonewall Uprising" you can watch it here:


Watch Stonewall Uprising on PBS. See more from American Experience.

As I was telling Will what I know about the events, he said, "I would have loved to have seen a bunch of badass drag queens kicking the shit out of a bunch of homophobic cops."  Me too.  But neither of us could have seen it since that night occurred before we were both born.  Too bad those weren't the days of smartphones and social media or else I'd have some video or photos to share with you.  Instead we have reenactments in documentaries like the one above to figure out what happened that night.

Forty years later our technology has evolved, as has mainstream society's opinion of gay culture, so I can share with you this photo by Christian blogger Nathan:


Photo Credit: Michelle at maladjustedmedia.com.


I can think of few things more beautiful than progressive, sensitive heterosexual men embracing queers.  Watch out!  Hugs are contagious!  You might catch an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment