Thursday, July 12, 2012

I Jinxed Katie's Health Streak

Aww, poor Katie is sick.  While she's napping, I'm reading about the etymology of the word "jinx."  As in, I should not have been bragging about how my kid rarely gets sick because now, of course, she's sick.


Just a little lethargy and intestinal goo.  Nothing major.  But still.  Poor kid.



So while she rests I search the Wikipedia article for the word jinx and I discover this:  "These birds get their English name from their ability to turn their heads almost 180 degrees. When disturbed at the nest, they use this snake-like head twisting and hissing as a threat display. This odd behaviour led to their use in witchcraft, hence to put a "jinx" on someone."

I'm actually not superstitious.  Crap.  I should not have announced that to the world because now something ominous is going to happen to me.  No really, I'm just a Wordy.  Loves me some interesting verbiage.   

(crosses fingers behind back)

3 comments:

  1. I don't think you jinxed her health. She came over here while I had it, plus Grandpa had it, and one of her cousins had it. It would have been amazing if she didn't get it! In fact, I'm surprised you haven't gotten it, you were over here too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, don't go jinxing my health now! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I just noticed it's Friday the 13!

    ReplyDelete