Saturday, July 28, 2012

Being Chicken and Waffling: My Thoughts on Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day

I've been trying to ignore the news of Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day.  It's depressing me.  I've been in a crabby mood since first reading about it.  I've done a great job of faking pleasantness; I had to work today.  But really, I just feel sad.

I know what my problem is.  I need to write.  That's always what my problem is.  So here goes.  Instead of being chicken and waffling, I'm going to share my thoughts on Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day.


Mike Huckabee's campaign to get people to voice their support of Chick-fil-A makes me sad.  What if back when it was illegal for black people to marry white people my friends and loved ones made plans to gather at a restaurant that came out in vocal support of racial purity to show their appreciation and support?  I think I'd feel the way I feel now.  Sad.  And alone.  Like some kind of fucked up weirdo who thinks consenting adults should be able to have a legal contract and declare their love for each other like all other consenting adults, no matter what color, what gender.  With marriage, we're all grownups here.  Why does my country still feel like a schoolyard with bullies in charge of the game?  And I'm way out in left field, wiping the mix of dusty tears and sweat from my cheeks, sick of playing the game.


***


I feel better now.  Will just got home from the grocery store.  He's making chicken tacos.  I have the best husband.  He is so right for me.  He gets me.  Like when I rant to him about how I don't understand not wanting all adults to have the right to have what we have if they want it.  I'm going on and on and on.  Rosacea flaring.  Getting in the way of his trying to put away the perishables and get dinner started.  Waving my arms in the air and making Katie laugh at me and ask, "What's that mean?" at my every other word.  This is how my calm, cool, magnificent husband responds to my rant:

"You know what I think?"

"What?"  Katie and I say at the same time, excited.  When Will talks, which is not that often, it's usually important.

"I think Jesus wasn't chicken."

"Yes!"  I shout out and slap his hand.  "Those are my thoughts exactly!"

Will wipes out a skillet I hadn't quite gotten all the way clean, tossing some crumbs into the trash can and says, "Yeah, Jesus was about going against what everybody else was saying." 


There's my courage. 

I don't remember reading about Jesus asking the apostles to gather together to support the fight against the right for people to love each other.  The quote I remember most of His is to "love your neighbor as yourself".  If I am deserving of marriage to another adult with whom I share mutual romantic love, why isn't my neighbor?

Jesus wants us to love each other.  It's as simple as that.