Saturday, July 7, 2012

Cold Turkey

Here's what I'm drinking tonight as I worry about the heat wave.

Bottle Cap 
photo by dmodzelewski

It's a light, refreshing lemony beer.  It takes my mind off my worries, mostly due to its alcohol content's amnesiac qualities.  Also because it makes me think about the ancient goddess of beer, Ninkasi.  It makes me think that even if civilization as we know it is doomed and that climate change is going to continue wrecking havoc on our planet, and many of us will not survive, it gives me hope to think about long dead people from ancient civilizations whose messages have been left behind.  Like the ancient Sumerian "Hymn to Ninkasi" which has been preserved on a clay tablet for nearly 4,000 years.  It's basically a recipe for beer.  And it's survived through all sorts of man made destruction whether it's battling each other in war or pissing off Mother Nature with our fossil fuel addiction.

Which reminds me: Kurt Vonnegut suggested we quit "Cold Turkey".

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment