Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Rest in Peace, Nora Ephron



I just heard Nora Ephron died today.  She was one of my favorite writers.  She wrote the screenplay to the great Mike Nichols film "Silkwood".  But my favorite of her screenplays is "When Harry Met Sally."

The scene above is great, even if I disagree with how Billy Crystal's character is grossly oversimplifying male-female friendships.  First of all, what about gay men?  They can certainly form nonsexual friendships with women.  What do you think?  Can a heterosexual man really be "just friends" with a woman?

I'm not going to bother posting the "fake orgasm" scene since everyone remembers that one.  But here's another one of my favorite scenes:

   

If you haven't seen "When Harry Met Sally", I highly recommend it.  It's not a perfect film--it's a realistic comedy, so of course it's not.  But it's one of those movies that when it ends you're just so happy to be alive.

Thank you, Nora Ephron.  I hope you were happy til the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment