Friday, June 22, 2012

I'm Lovin' It

 
Stolen from Idea Planet’s Facebook page


This photo leads us to think that contrary to popular belief, fast food is not cheap. It’s convenient. And in our stress-out, time strapped lives, convenience is an anxiety-reducer.

And it’s tasty. Filled with chemicals that make you crave it. Instead of “I’m Lovin’ It” fast food ad wizards should get us to chant how we really feel: “I’m Jonesin’ For It”.

Is fast food the latest drug of choice? Highly addictive. You never quite feel satisfied and keep coming back for more, even though you feel sick. Or is all this talk about high fructose corn syrup and genetically modified, partially hydrogenated soybean oil just a way to scare the masses and to help people who prefer to shop at the local farmer’s markets or grown their own vegetables feel smugly superior?  I say it’s about time the hippies got their health nutty lifestyles back into the spotlight.

All I know is that last July I cut back my paid-work hours, so we've had to change our attitude toward meals. It’s just so much cheaper to eat a home-cooked meal. And healthful. I don’t add chemicals to the foods I prepare.  I buy organic when possible.  I offer vegetables and whole grains with most meals.  

Plus, feeding loved ones is an act of love. I enjoy making meals for my family. Not that I’m particularly good at it yet. But I’m trying. And I’m lovin’ it.

What's for dinner at your house tonight?

2 comments:

  1. I agree! It does take a great deal more time to eat healthy, but fortunately I'm in the position in my life to really take advantage of it. Personally, nothing warms my heart like preparing healthy delicious food for my loved ones. Good for you lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kelli. Do you have any favorite (easy) recipes you'd like to share?

    ReplyDelete