Monday, June 25, 2012

Housewife FAIL, Housewife WIN

After my recent breakdown, Will suggested I call our agent at American Family Insurance to see if our auto policy covers the cost of a tow.  I argued with him that of course it wouldn't.

"Car insurance is for when you get in a wreck, not when your car just breaks down," I insisted.

Just to prove my husband wrong, I called our agent.  Turns out, our agent proved me wrong.  They do make car insurance that covers the cost of a tow if your have a breakdown.  Who knew?  Well, uh, Will but, um...

Unfortunately I never asked for this service on our policy since I didn't know it exists, so the policy we have does not cover a tow.  Too bad.  It's only $4 every six months per vehicle.  Less than a buck a month.

The hash marks under the "Housewife FAIL" column I keep stored inside my brain are multiplying faster than the hash marks under my "Housewife WIN" column.

Oh well, as I tell our daughter all the time, "live and learn."  See, this is just another example for me to show Katie how we learn from our mistakes.  I think that means I should get a hash mark in both columns, since being a good role model falls under the "Housewife WIN" category.

2 comments:

  1. I have GEICO, and they sent me a little card w/ a number to call for a tow. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known. Came in handy when my car broke down in San Antonio. And when I had a wreck on the highway. Oh, and I think it broke down in Columbia too. I've had mostly older cars that broke down a lot. The first car I had broke down and ran out of gas (no gauge) on a monthly basis. It's a wonder no one ever robbed me or something. I have had to depend on the kindness of strangers and tow truck drivers more than I care to, but it has always come out fine - despite all my nail biting. And you know, the car I had that broke down constantly? I never had insurance that covered a tow. Now that I have a new car, I have the insurance that covers it. Go figure.

    Now, if I could only get the insurance to cover it when I lock myself out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be nice! Yeah, as many old clunkers as I've driven you'd think I would have been aware of this tow option. Oh well. We've signed up for it now. At eight bucks a year I'd be a fool to pass it up.

    All these car problems just make we wish we had better public transit in our sprawling city.

    ReplyDelete