Thursday, June 28, 2012

Obamacare: Can I Continue Picking My Own Providers; or, I Want My Doctor to Be a Reflection of Myself

I'm pleasantly surprised most of Obamacare was upheld by SCOTUS today.  Much of the reaction on the right is not surprising at all.  I'm an advocate of universal health care, but Obamacare is a step in the right direction.  Perhaps while wearing a cast and walking with crutches.  But it's at least heading somewhere better.  Here's a good video that explains it:



I'm one of the lucky ones who has good insurance, but I've heard horror stories from my friends who are either uninsured or one job-loss away from uninsured.

Today I had to visit the doctor about an issue that allowed me to use my big girl words while speaking to the medical staff.  Vulva.  Vagina.  Labia minora.  If I were a Michigan Representative my coworkers would have bandaged my mouth shut with gauze and that amazing sort of see-through tape that sticks well enough for the bandage but it doesn't rip your hairs off when it's time for removal.  For all my brash use of medical terminology they'd mummify my mouth.

My doctor wants me to have a very minor outpatient surgical procedure done, but it's beyond the means of his office.  So he gave me a list of referrals to pick from.  Scanning the list, I was having trouble deciding who to pick.  Two of them--former doctors I did not like at all--were immediately nixed.  But how could I tell which one would be the best for me from the rest?

Good ole Google.  After searching their websites, I actually made a decision.  And guess what it was that made up my mind?  In her bio, she describes herself as "an environmentalist" and "a perpetual student."

See, as long as I can continue to choose my medical providers based on my own irrational reasons, Obamacare seems like a reasonable law to me.

I say let's talk about Obamacare.  And vaginas.  Out in the open.  Maybe open communication will spark some good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment