Thursday, November 21, 2013

School Food Drive


Katie's school is having a food drive leading up to Thanksgiving.  Each day we are asked to send one item.  Next Tuesday we're asked to send a box of macaroni and cheese.  We had eaten all ours, so I wrote it on our grocery list so I wouldn't forget.

After I picked up Katie from school we headed to the grocery store.  While in the mac and cheese aisle, I informed Katie that we needed to pick out a box for her school's food drive.

"Let's get the SpongeBob shapes!" Katie said, picking up a box and shoving it into my face so I could see exactly what she was talking about.

"No."  I stepped back. "Just get the store brand.  It's the same thing really, and the store brand is much less expensive," I reasoned.

"Mom," Katie said in her calm, mature-beyond-her-years voice.  "The food drive is for poor people."

"Yeah.  So?  They're used to eating store brand mac and cheese, just like we are," I argued.

"But Mom.  How would you like to be a kid who doesn't get very much food and very many toys?  This food can be kind of like a toy for them," Katie said, her eyes sparkling.

We bought the SpongeBob shapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment