Friday, November 8, 2013

Kid Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Katie reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid


I let my seven-year-old Human Reading Vacuum, Katie, stay up way past her bedtime last night so she could finish reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney. She first saw it over at her friends' house. She asked me to get it for her from the public library. 

She began reading it yesterday morning before getting ready for school (I used to watch cartoons on TV before getting ready for school - sheesh!). As soon as she got home she hurriedly finished her homework, grabbed a lollipop and cracked open the book again. By bedtime she had just a few more pages left, so I let her stay up. I think 217 pages of the same book in one day is a new record for our little bookworm.

She wanted to read it during dinner but I told her she needed to put it down and talk to me for a few minutes.  Guess what we talked about?  The book.

Go check it out for your kid if you need a few hours of uninterrupted time to yourself.  Dang.

My guess at an appropriate age range (subject to parental approval): 7ish for your Human Reading Vacuums to 14ish for your reluctant readers.

I gotta go place a hold on the second one in the series.  Katie informed me there are now eight volumes.  This is going to be a quiet week at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment