Sunday, November 10, 2013

I Think My Shoes are Tongue-Tied

"Katie's Shoes" by Becky Carleton

Katie, attempting to tie her shoes: "I think my shoes are tongue-tied."
Will: "What?"
Katie: "I think my shoes are tongue-tied."
Will: "Yeah, but what do you mean?"
Katie: "The tongue won't come out far enough because it's stuck inside."

"Katie's Tongue-Tied Shoes" by Becky Carleton

This is the sort of conversation you have with a seven-year-old science geek who is obsessed with her mother's Ankyloglossia.

"My Lingual Frenulum" by Becky Carleton

During the five years of Spanish I took from eighth through twelfth grade, I never could roll my Rs.  I blame it on being tongue-tied.  Had I been born in Mexico instead of Missouri, I'd be pulled out of class for speech therapy for sure.  I also can't stick my tongue out like a normal bratty person.  Perhaps my oral anomaly has taught me to use my words instead of gestures when I wish to convey a certain message to someone I think is full of shit.  Just don't expect me to roll my Rs when I cuss you out en Español.

No comments:

Post a Comment