Tuesday, August 27, 2013

CBGB's Elegie


"Farewell CBGBs: 33 years.  It's the same age as Jesus."--Patti Smith

"Love your neighbor as yourself."--Jesus

Some might think it's sacreligious to compare the death of Jesus to the death of a punk rock venue, but I can think of fewer people more neighbor-loverly than this soulful poet who said it.  This miracle of love and beauty brought to you by Patti Smith, who sung the last song at CBGB:

Patti Smith "Elegie"

I just don't know what to do tonight,
My head is aching as I drink and breathe
Memory falls like cream in my bones, moving on my own.

There must be something I can dream tonight,
The air is filled with the moves of you,
All the fire is frozen yet still I have the will, ooh, ah.

Trumpets, violins, I hear them in the distance
And my skin emits a ray, but I think it's sad, it's much too bad
That our friends can't be with us today.

No comments:

Post a Comment