Friday, January 18, 2013

Security Guard Leaves His Gun Unattended in Michigan K-8 School

Sadly, this headline is not from The Onion:

Security Guard Leaves Gun Unattended In Restroom at Lapeer Charter School

Yikes!

Thankfully no kids were harmed.  But it makes me wonder what the NRA's response to this major blunder will be.  They're the ones who are pushing for more armed guards in schools after the Sandy Hook Massacre last month.  I support the Second Amendment even though I hate guns as much as the next Progressive Libertarian, but that doesn't mean I want guns in our public schools.  The main reason: How do you combat such a grave human error as this one?  "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" says NRA president Wayne LaPierre.  Well, maybe.  But good guys are not perfect guys.  Even good guys sometimes make mistakes.  I shudder to think what could have happened if a child got ahold of this weapon in school.

The second I find out Governeor Brownback is ordering Katie's school to have an armed guard, I'm homeschooling my sweet girl.  Although I really don't want to have to brush up on my first grade math.  Instead of worrying about it, I think I'll contact Governor Brownback to let him know where I stand on the issue of armed guards in our schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment