Monday, September 30, 2013

Marvin the Paranoid Android

Last night Will, Katie, and I watched the movie Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  I noticed during the first scene with Marvin the Paranoid Android Katie was wiggling her eyebrows at Will, her thumb pointed in my direction.  She saw me staring, smiled, and said, "That's you, Mom.  You're Marvin."

"Yeah, I know."  I sighed, but it made me smile too, which made Will and Katie both smile even more.

God, those two get my heart beating.

So does the robot.  I love you, Marvin.  You understand.  And I love that my two favorite people love me for who I am, depressed and all, enough to even tease me about it.

My favorite scene is toward the end of the movie when Marvin saves his friends' lives by shooting the villains with an empathy gun, making them all too depressed to continue fighting.  sigh/smile

When I'm experiencing a relapse of my chronic depression, I turn to art to lift me from the darkness.  It helps to know others know how I feel.

Here's Radiohead's take on Marvin--an amazing rendition of their song, "Paranoid Android":



God, these guys get my heart beating.

No comments:

Post a Comment