Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Beautifully Blasé

School picture day was coming up and Katie's hair was overgrown.  I asked if she'd like to go to the salon and get a proper cut instead of relying on my chopping away at it like normal.  She said sure.  As if I'd asked her if she wanted to tag along with me to the grocery store.  Something different to do to get out of the house.

I asked how she'd like to get it cut.  Katie thought about it for like two seconds and then, running a pretend hairbrush over the back of her hair, she said, "I'd like it cut shorter so I don't have so much to brush in the morning."

I love Katie's utilitarian view of her hair.  I've made a conscious effort not to overemphasis our daughter's looks and instead focus on her character whenever paying her a compliment.  I want her self-esteem to come from the inside, not the outside.  I don't want her to grow up to be the kind of person whose whole day is ruined over a bad hair day.  I want her to know she is valued for far more than her ability to conform to society's beauty standards.

The problem is, the kid has freaking gorgeous hair.  Yeah, yeah, we're all beautiful in our own way.  I know that.  But this kid has extraordinarily luscious locks.  It's hard not to comment.  I couldn't help myself when we stepped out of these salon.

Katie's new 'do: side-view

Katie's new 'do: back


"Oh, Punk!  I love your new hair cut.  You have such gorgeous hair!" I gushed.  Give me a break.  It's not going to turn her into a snob to hear how beautiful she is every once in a while.

Katie smiled, then contorted her lips to puff some air up toward her bangs to blow them out of her eyes and said, "Thanks, Mom" in a tone that sounded more like "Yeah, yeah.  I know.  Who cares?"

Being blasé about her external beauty makes her all the more beautiful on the inside.    

No comments:

Post a Comment