Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thank You Mrs. Carleton For Reading To Us

I got to be the mystery reader in Katie's class yesterday.  Even Katie was surprised when I showed up.  The kids treated me like a celebrity.  Katie introduced me to her classmates by telling them, "My mommy is a librarian!" as if being a librarian were the equivalent to being a rock star.  Come to think of it, Morrissey's mom was a librarian, so rock stars we may not be, but we do encourage such behavior in our children.

First I read Baby Food by Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers to give them an introduction to the artists' work.  The kids had fun guessing all the vegetables and fruits that were used to carve the food sculptures.  Then, for the finale, I read Dr. Pompo's Nose by the same artists.  It stars a bunch of carved pumpkins.  It was a big hit this time of the year, when the kids are starting to plan how they want to carve their own Halloween pumpkins.

Today Katie was sent home with her backpack stuffed full of these thank you notes from her and her classmates.  What an amazing present to receive.  If ever I'm feeling down, I will look at these letters and feel better.  How sweet a simple thank you can be.































No comments:

Post a Comment