Saturday, February 16, 2013

Dark Spiritual Areas at the Golden Corral

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."  --Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Friends in North Johnson County, Kansas City Kansas, Lawrence, and SE Kansas, don't worry:  Governor Brownback's spiritual leader is praying for our "dark spiritual areas". So we might have to pay more taxes under Brownback's rule, but even if our pocketbooks aren't protected our souls are. Whew!

If I ever want to sell my North JoCo house I'm going to add this to the special features: Includes government-sponsored prayer protection.

But seriously, I don't think I'll be moving anytime soon.  There's a progressive tide in Johnson County Kansas and I'm ready for the ride.  And it's not just in the north.  Sam Brownback's spiritual leader might want to include South Johnson County on his prayer map of "dark spiritual areas".  See #darkspiritualarea on Twitter for a good laugh.

We met Will's family at the Olathe Golden Corral today to celebrate my brother-in-law's birthday.  Golden Corral is the best buffet in the area, in my not at all humble opinion.  You go for the food, not the atmosphere.  It's not what I usually think of as a beacon of rainbow-colored light.  But today, while watching an androgynous teen in a spiffy apron merrily twirl cotton candy for happy customers, I felt like saying to my six-year-old "I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more" and stepping outside to see if the building had been whirled off to San Francisco.  

Mr. Brownback, our world is getting more diverse whether you like it or not.  Even at the Golden Corral.  In South Johnson County.

No comments:

Post a Comment