Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Serenity Prayer Before Dinner


The next time I'm asked to say grace before a meal, I'm going to say the Serenity Prayer.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Today, health guru Dr. Linda Bacon shared this article on social media, "3 Behaviors Matter More Than Weight". This part is intriguing:

Good news from the REGARDS study is that they’ve found three behaviors that indeed matter more than weight in preventing another heart attack or death in patients with coronary disease. 

1. Physical Activity
2. Actually Following a Mediterranean Diet 
3. Staying Smoke-free.

I don't know what "actually" following a certain kind of diet means, but I suspect it does not include downing a bag of Lay's Sour Cream and Onion chips. Too bad.

No, seriously, I'm glad to see studies that help people understand that behaviors they can somewhat control--body movement, eating wholesome foods, and abstaining from cigarettes--are indicative of good health more than body shape, something largely beyond our control.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment