Sunday, December 29, 2013

Donna Goeckler's Breath of Heaven

I got chills when I heard a woman sing a song at Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church this morning.  Katie sat at my side, leaning into me, her head fitting perfectly in my armpit, her cheek against my breast.  At seven, these snuggly moments are growing far too few for my taste, so I sat frozen and took it all in.

I felt full of love.

What a beautiful song it is.  I had never heard it before.  I saw in the church bulletin it's called "Breath of Heaven".  The singer is Donna Goeckler, and man, she's amazing.  Tears baptized my eyes during the part where she sings breath of heaven hold me together be forever near me.

Hold me together.

Anyone who's ever felt desperate knows that feeling.  Anyone who's ever felt like they were falling apart knows what it's like to need something bigger than yourself help hold you together.

A mother.

A father.

A sibling.

A friend.

When we reach out to each other, when we let each other know we are here to hold each other together when we feel like we're falling apart, that is love.  That is what Jesus (and many other wise humans who had tapped into their inner energy at the Source) walked the earth to tell us:

Love God.

Love people.

Sitting there listening to this gifted woman sing her heart out in the sanctuary with people in my community, I felt love vibrating around me.  I breathed it in, there with my daughter to my right, my friend Sarah to my left, and God's love all around.  

I wish you could have been there.  I was too engrossed in the moment to think about recording it, but someone uploaded a recording of Goeckler singing the same song a couple of years ago, which I have the honor of sharing with you here.  Peace and love to you.


Mary's Song (Breath of Heaven) from Creative Peep on Vimeo.

"Breath Of Heaven (Mary's Song)"

I have traveled many moonless nights
Cold and lonely with this babe inside
And I wonder what I've done
Holy Father you have come
And chosen me now
To carry your son

I am waiting in a silent prayer
I am frightened by this load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone
Be with me now
Be with me now

[Chorus:]
Breath of heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of heaven
Breath of heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me your holiness
For you are holy
Breath of heaven

Do you wonder as you watch my face
If a wiser one should have had my place
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan
Help me be strong
Help me be
Help me

[Chorus 2x]

No comments:

Post a Comment