Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve Worship at Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church

It's Christmas Eve!  Holy shit!  How did that happen so quickly?

This morning, as I was running around the house like a Christmas duck with its head cut off, trying to check everything off my "to do" list, I realized I didn't have a fancy Christmas dress for our seven-year-old daughter Katie to wear.  Each previous year, someone in our family who has her act together way more than I do always manged to send us a hand-me-down fancy Christmas dress for Katie to wear.  I vaguely recall getting something red and fancy among all the clothes in the sack of hand-me-downs Will's mom gave us earlier this year, but as I searched for it this morning in Katie's closet to no avail, I began to panic.

Me: "Katie, we might have to go to Once Upon a Child to get you a fancy Christmas dress."

Katie: "Why?"

Me: "So you can wear it to the children's Christmas Eve service at church tonight."

Katie: "Mom.  I don't need a fancy Christmas dress."

Me: "You don't?  Why not?"

Katie: "Mom, that's not what Christmas is all about."

Me: "Oh?"

Katie: "No.  Christmas isn't all about wearing fancy dresses.  It's about the birth of Jesus.  Jesus doesn't care if I wear a fancy Christmas dress."

Once again, our seven-year-old child proves to be the wisest person I know.

If you'd like to join us this evening, Katie and I are going to the children's worship service at this really awesome, progressive (read: nonjudgmental) church at 5PM.  My friend Sarah says they bring in live animals for the nativity play.  It should be fun.  And don't worry.  No one will judge you if you show up in pajama pants.  That's what Katie might be wearing, since my sister Glenda gave her some red Kansas City Chiefs pajama pants for Christmas this year, and so far it's the only red thing I can find for Katie to wear.

Here's more info from the Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church website:

Christmas Eve Worship Services
God calls us to come a little closer,
                   EVEN IF … 
we have never been to church or not been in years,
        we left in anger or just faded away,
        we go all the time, but still wonder why
        we aren’t sure what we believe
                  or whether we believe.
         No matter what has happened
                      or who we are –
             if we are rich as kings or poor as shepherds–
            God calls us to come closer
                              to hear the story that changed everything
                                   and to open our hearts to the light of the world.        

Visitors are a special blessing to Grace Covenant this time of year.  Please join us at one of our three services to share in the hope, peace and joy that will renew our world.  

5pm          Children’s Service: an experience full of wonder and surprises. 

7:30pm    Carol Service: with special music provided by our Youth Choir. 

10:45pm  Candlelight Communion: a Service of Lessons and Carols.  Music provided by our Chancel Choir, Instrumentalists, and Soloists.

 Something wonderful is about to happen–and we want you to be there with us.

Here's a photo of the 2010 Christmas Eve service I snagged off GCPC's Facebook page:

image source

We hope to see you there!

Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church
11100 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS 66210

(913) 345-1256

Peace and love to you and yours this holiday season and throughout the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment