Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Simple



"So it's sort of stored sun that's coming out when you burn a log." - Richard Feynman

I just finished reading the graphic biography Feynman by Jim Ottaviani and Leland Myrick. Will recommended it to me. I didn't think I'd like it, it'd be too science-y and boring. No way. Instead I felt energized reading it. It left me wanting more, excited at my discovery that, after this past year's extreme navel-gazing brought on by my brother's death, my turning 40, and my daughter starting school, I'm still curious about the world. Outside myself. I'm ready to pay attention and ask questions, without necessarily needing answers.

Will's got me geeking out with him in his man cave, watching online video interviews of this brilliant man. It's astounding how Feynman knows something so thoroughly he can break it down into simple terms that even I can comprehend. Like how Kurt Vonnegut uses simple words to communicate his complex ideas in Slaughter-house Five. Break anything down to its most fundamental form to find meaning in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment