Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Welfare Rant

The headline from this Forbes article says it all: Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

image source: Wikipedia

I love the idea of providing those who need it public assistance for food and housing. I love knowing that my tax dollars help feed my neighbors. What I don't love is paying taxes so my neighbors can feed themselves because their employers refuse to pay them enough. The heirs to the Walmart dynasty are billionaires and could easily share their profits more equitably with their employees. But no. Those greedy bastards keep raking it in while I get to pay for their worker's food stamps.

I'm sick of it.

Now, this is no typical welfare rant. I'm not pissed at people who rely on public assistance to buy food. There but for the grace of God go I. This argument against welfare is not aimed at the poor. It's obscene how our society lets rich people screw both the middle-class and the poor by pitting them against each other. No, I'm not mad at people on welfare. I'm mad at corporations on welfare. I'm mad at the assholes whose companies make huge profits by paying their workers starvation wages, knowing that chumps like me will foot the bill.

Please join me in boycotting Walmart until they agree to pull their employees off public assistance and pay them a living wage. It's time for Walmart to get off of corporate welfare and see if they can make it or break it as a business on its own, without government handouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment