Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Pickle

My friend and I were talking today about the health benefits of fermented and pickled food. I had never heard of such health benefits, but I was glad to hear it. I love tempeh (fermented soybeans), sauerkraut (pickled cabbage), and beer (fermented sugar from barley or wheat). I also love pickles. And I'm not the only one. Today I found this in our refrigerator:


I asked Will if this was his doing. He laughed and said it was not. Since it's just us three in this house, Katie's the likely culprit. I couldn't ask her though, because she had fallen asleep on the couch. She's just getting over a few days of having a fever and no appetite. Guess what she asked for when her fever broke and her hunger returned?

A pickle.

My friend who was telling me about the health benefits of pickled and fermented food mentioned that they are full of probiotics, which are healthy for our gut flora.

I think Katie's kind of a weirdo for liking pickles so much, being only seven and all, but I'm happy to see she listens to her body's natural cravings that help her heal naturally.

***Postscript***

Three days later, I notice someone has written "pikies" (pickles) on the grocery list in her best second-grader handwriting:



No comments:

Post a Comment