Sunday, March 17, 2013

My Meatloaf: Almost As Good As Dog Food

I rarely cook with beef.  I personally haven't eaten any beef since December 31, 1989.  But lately Katie's been asking for some meatloaf.  She had some at the Golden Corral the other day and she's been jonesin' for more ever since.

Will told me what ingredients to buy and I followed this recipe, kinda, only I added about 1/4 c. chopped green pepper and about 1/4 c. chopped mushrooms and I didn't add quite so much milk since Will taught me when you add extra veggies to a dish you should remove some of the liquid since veggies are full of water.

They say it turned out pretty good.



Katie gave it a "quadruple thumbs up".  Will said it was delicious.

"The best thing you've made for me since the dog food," he said with a smile.

Yes, you heard him right.  I once fed my husband dog food.

When Will and I were first married but before Katie was born, I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to make the dogs a homemade meal.  I found a recipe online for homemade dog food--roasted chicken, carrots, and potatoes--but by the time I finished cooking it I felt bad that I'd never made Will such a fancy meal.  So I fed it to him.  I barely had the heart to tell him I'd made it with the intent of feeding it to the dogs as he shoveled it down his gullet, saying over and over, "Wow, this is amazing.  What prompted you to make such a fantastic meal?"

"Well, uh, you see...It's actually dog food," I explained.

Without batting an eye, mouth full, he said, "Well it's the best damn dog food I've ever had."

No comments:

Post a Comment