Friday, March 22, 2013

Grapefruit, Sweet and Juicy


Wow, I just had the tastiest grapefruit.  I spent far too many years hating the poor fruit.  Only since I've been with Will have I discovered how amazing grapefruit is.  Will is an aficionado of all things sweet, from ripe grapefruit and Sumo Citrus to Starburst jelly beans and Peeps.  I know if Will holds out a slice of something and says, here try this, it will be worth my while.  

I even have special spoons.  I'm not usually all fancy about kitchen tools.  I'll use a fork for an egg beater, a pot lid for a strainer.  But I own a set of grapefruit spoons, and I love them.  I slice a grapefruit in half, sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top, and dig in with my special serrated-edged spoon.  Oh my goodness it's so juicy and sweet.

My inner-nine-year old pokes a finger inside her mouth and pretends to gag at the thought of what's become of me.  I used to hate grapefruit back then, when I was "encouraged" to eat it on my Weight Watchers diet.  I thought of grapefruit the same way I thought of Tab.  Something you only consume if you're on a diet.

Thankfully my husband's unvarnished sweet tooth corrected that myth.  

2 comments:

  1. Aw, you're making me hungry for a grapefruit, and I don't have any... :(

    But I love the special spoons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Too bad Blogger doesn't offer a teleportation widget or I'd send you one.

    ReplyDelete