Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Embryogenesis of a Scientist

The other day Katie told me she wants to be a scientist when she grows up.  When asked what is her favorite subject at school, lately she's been saying, "Science!"  Now I see where she's getting the idea. 



Notice the teacher has "scientist" under the line where it usually says "name." Niiiiice.

As we looked over this worksheet, I told Katie she used to be an embryo too. I said, "You started out as a blastocyst.  Then you became an embryo.  Then you were a fetus.  Then you were a baby, and now you're a big girl." 


Katie cleared her throat and said, "No, Mom. I started out as an EGG."

When she argues with me, I like to think of my six year old not as bossy or disrespectful toward her mother, but as a detail-oriented, critical thinker.  Good thing we don't live in Texas, where Stephen Colbert reports some GOP leaders recently wanted teaching critical thinking skills stricken from the curriculum of public schools:

"Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."

I guess I like my parental authority undermined, especially when my child's point is valid.  As far as I'm concerned, the only two rules my daughter must strictly follow are these: 

1.  Think for yourself.

2.  Love everyone.

Watch here:

No comments:

Post a Comment