Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Curious Autodidact Recommends: Crash Course

I was never a great student, but I was always curious.  When I was struggling with formal education in young adulthood, a good friend recommended I read Kendall Hailey's autobiography The Day I Became an Autodidact.  I'm glad she did.  I had never heard of such a thing, teaching yourself what you want to know when you want to know it, taking control of your own learning.  This book gave me the courage to embrace my nonconformist educational preference.  I got a job at the public library, the best place to feed a curious mind. 

I like to joke that my goal is to get a PhD by the time I'm 80.  But I don't know.  I might end up extending that deadline even closer to death.  Right now, busy with motherhood, spousehood, librarianship, and blogging, I don't have time to go back to school and get a formal degree.  For now my Associate's degree from the community college and my obsession with John and Hank Green will get me by. 

Enjoy with me, John Green's Crash Course World History:



Enjoy with me, Hank Green's Crash Course Biology:

No comments:

Post a Comment