Thursday, February 13, 2014

Kansas House Bill 2453

Yesterday the Kansas House passed a bill allowing both state and private employees to refuse service to LBGT citizens. It has now moved on to the state senate for a vote. Yes this is 2014. No, Marty McFly has not kidnapped us back to the 1950s. This is real life. This is serious.

This morning I emailed Governor Brownback and my district's state senator this message:

"Since the days of 'bleeding Kansas' we have been a state that has stood for freedom and equality for all. House Bill 2453 is a fundamental challenge to that founding principal. The Kansas constitution states that all Kansan's 'are possessed of equal and inalienable natural rights, among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.' We ask that Governor Brownback and the Kansas legislature honor the oath they took to uphold the constitution, for all Kansas citizens, regardless of sexual orientation. Repeal House Bill 2453."

The wording is from this online petition. I tried signing and submitting the online petition, but I keep getting an error message, so I decided to just email Governor Brownback and my state senator directly. I encourage you to contact the Governor and your state senator, too.

If you don't know who your Kansas state senator is, here's a nifty resource. Just enter your address to see who represents you: http://openkansas.org/

If for any reason you need help finding the contact information for your Kansas state senator, email me your address and I'd be happy to help you.

Join the community and keep up-to-date on this issue here on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment