Monday, October 12, 2015

Joone by Emily Kate Moon (book review)

JooneJoone by Emily Kate Moon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Me, reading the part about how Joone's dress is filthy and needs to be washed: "I wonder what the word 'filthy' means? Do you know?"

One of the kiddos in Preschool Storytime: "I think it means 'dirty.'"

Me: "That's right! Filthy is another word for dirty. How did you know?"

Kiddo: "I just thought about it with my brain."

We had fun reading this book during Preschool Storytime. This is a great vocabulary building book without being too didactic. The kids could relate to five-year-old Joone who describes an ordinary day in her life. It sparked a great discussion about how important it is for kids to read to their moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas every night before bed, and how many books they deserve if they've had a good day and go to bed early. We had fun playing find Dr. Chin, Joone's pet turtle who likes to ride atop Joone's head and sleep next to her in bed. Great interactive read. Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment