Saturday, September 12, 2015

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee (book review)

Go Set a WatchmanGo Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When you elevate a human being to the status of a god, they will disappoint you. I was worried that this book, supposedly the sequel, or the prequel, or the first draft of Harper Lee's masterpiece To Kill a Mockingbird, would disappoint me. It did not. It's not as good as To Kill a Mockingbird, but nothing I have ever read, since I first read TKaM thirty years ago, is. It's my all-time favorite book. So when I heard that Lee's publisher was releasing Go Set a Watchman, my first reaction was oh shit, don't set your expectations too high! To be honest, I dreaded reading Watchman. I was terrified that the author of my favorite book ever--the highest of gods in the author universe--would disappoint me. She did. A little. And she didn't. A lot. Just the way I like it. Just like life. You look back on the ups and downs, and hopefully you're mostly looking up.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment