Saturday, August 29, 2015

Living in Sin?: A Bishop Rethinks Human Sexuality by John Shelby Spong (book review)

Living in Sin?: A Bishop Rethinks Human SexualityLiving in Sin?: A Bishop Rethinks Human Sexuality by John Shelby Spong
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book a couple of decades ago, so I'm going off of memory here. Bishop Spong is one of the first religious leaders I ever heard speak of homosexuality without judgment. At the time I read this book I was in my early twenties in a committed lesbian relationship. When people would ask me what my religious beliefs were, I'd cross my fingers and say, "Jesus and I are like that. But organized religion bugs me." Frankly, I felt unwelcome in most churches. I grew up listening to people talk about how the Bible says homosexuality is a sin. My friends in high school and I were bullied and threatened with death by our peers for being gay or bi or questioning. All these years later, it's still a crazy harsh world we live in, but it's getting better for kids who are gay or bi or questioning. I can't wait to re-read this book and see how I feel about it today. Highly recommended to open minds.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment