Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Breakfast at 1:07PM


I announced first thing this morning that I was going to help Katie clean her room today.  We've been putting it off for four days now.  After a couple cups of coffee I got side-tracked writing, while Katie played all morning.  We finally sat down to breakfast at 1:07PM.  Needless to say, Katie and I have been a couple of slackers so far this summer vacation.  That doesn't mean Katie's brain is turning to mush.  She's still thinking.

Katie: "Mom, when I put the bite of egg under my tongue I'm like, 'Huh, what is that?  Is that an egg?  I can't taste it.'  But if I put the bite of egg on top of my tongue I'm like, "Mmm, this is a tasty bite of egg!"

Me: "Yep, that's right.  Why do you think that is?"

Katie: "Because I have like thousands of taste buds on top of my tongue and like maybe one taste bud under my tongue?"

Me: "That sounds right to me.  Did you read about that somewhere or just figure it out yourself?"

Katie: "I just figured it out myself."

Me: "Wow, like a real scientist., experimenting with ideas and figuring stuff out."

Katie, beaming, "Yep!"  Suddenly serious, "You know, Mom, most scientists like messes."

Me: "But what if their work space is so messy they can't conduct an experiment?"

Katie: "But that's what scientists do.  They create messes when they work."

Me: "Well sure.  Same as artists.  I'd rather write than clean my house."

We both sat silently together.  After a minute, I said, "Well, I'm going to go blog about this.  I'll help you clean your room when I'm done."  I left her to conduct experiments on things that need figuring out.  Cleaning can wait for science and art.

No comments:

Post a Comment